In our previous publication, Joe’s wife Betty did a bit of researching into their niche market. They are a typical small family business who wants to gain internet presence and have their own website. Joe and Betty are of the opinion that a small business web design could help them to promote their business as paper advertising alone has not done the trick. Betty has done some basic keyword research as she could not understand how some businesses ended up on her search phrase in different places.
Even at this early stage it was clear to Betty that in order for a web presence to succeed they needed to follow a step by step approach before any business site should be launched, viz:
1. Developing a keyword strategy to target the right searchers
2. Building a well-structured web site
3. Creating good content and doing basic on-page and off-page optimization
4. Promoting their site to get links from the rest of the web
Betty must now take her basic keyword research a step further and develop a keyword strategy that considers all short and long tail keywords. From her earlier probing she came to realize that this process is about:
• The keywords need to relevant to their niche and obviously their business skills they want to promote.
• These keywords should be able to generate good levels of website visitors, good traffic, but more important targeted traffic. When someone lands on their page the visitor should yell, bingo….
• They need to choose keywords with an acceptable level of competition. But not overwhelming competition.
• The keywords they choose should have a desired level of commerciality.
In an effective search engine optimization campaign, you will be able to target a broad spectrum of search terms. Keyword strategy is the effective combination of keywords into phrases, which results in you targeting the right search terms, and ultimately bringing visitors to the right web page to satisfy the visitors needs. Betty, being the smart woman she is (mother, business woman and wife) realizes that she cannot build site strategy around a single key word like HYDRAULICS or a two word phrase like HYDRAULIC REPAIRS as this resulted in 80% irrelevance to their niche.
Betty has come to understand very early on that key words should also include 3 word, 4 word and even longer keyword phrases. Betty has been able to narrow down their keyword research results:
• Hydraulic repairs – 3 million and 20 % relevance
• Hydraulic repair services – 1 million 70% relevance
• Hydraulic repairs and maintenance – 542,000 80% relevance
• Tulsa Hydraulic repairs and maintenance – 16,000 80% relevance
• Tulsa Hydraulic repairs and maintenance Caterpillar – 7,000 70% relevance
Keyword strategy is not confined to finding a hand full of relevant keywords. Different keywords can be used throughout the web design. Relevant keywords for Joe and Betty’s low cost website design may include as many as 15 – 20 relevant keyword phrases, as they service and repair a diverse range of equipment and address a multitude of fault areas. The experience of Betty and Joe is applicable to virtually all types of businesses, who desire a business web.
Affiliate marketing sites are prolific and found everywhere on the internet. Sadly only a handful of these ventures enjoy any form of long term success. The reason is simple. People get hung up on a particular keyword or phrase and build their whole strategy around this keyword without proper or even basic research. Business websites do not enjoy their top spot by virtue of luck, but by design.